1. Scope of the Policy
The terms “You” and “User” as used herein refer to all individuals accessing the Site.
“Personal Data” means information that specifically identifies an individual or that is linked to information that identifies a specific individual.
3. How We use Your Personal Data
A. To fulfil a contract, or take steps prior to entry into a contract:
(a) to process your registration for the services;
(b) to provide the services, to communicate with you about them or your account;
(c) to send you information about changes to our Terms or Policy; and
(d) to verify your identity.
B. Where this is necessary for purposes which are
in our, or third parties, legitimate interests:
These interests are:
(a) to fulfil your requests, inquiries and complaints regarding the services;
(b) to provide technical support for the services;
(c) to personalise services for your tastes;
(d) to show you relevant advertising;
(e) to recommend things that might interest you;
(f) to analyse how you use the services, including which videos you like to watch, and to help us develop new services;
(h) to contact you
ii.) to answer you when you’ve contacted us or to respond to a comment or complaint;
iii.) for marketing purposes with your explicit consent;
(i) to research and innovate
C. Where you give us consent:
(a) to send you newsletters you have requested and consented to;
(b) to send you content, offers, and promotional materials by email which may be personalized based on your visits to and use of the services.
D. For purposes which are required by law:
(a) in response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
4. The Type of Data
When you use our services we will ask for Personal Data, with your consent. This is obtained via different formats such as filling in forms on businessmalta.com (our Site) upon registration or by corresponding with us by e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our Site, subscribe to our service and when you report a problem relating to our Site. At the moment of collection we will explain what information is required in order for us to provide the particular service, and what information you may choose to provide, such as:
- First and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Email address
- User ID
- IP Address
- Payment Details (if applicable)
5. Source of Data
Depending on the User we acquire your Personal Data :
- Directly from you through registration and information that is collected automatically, such as information collected from your browser or device.
- From Third Parties. We also receive some information about you from third parties.
- When you engage with our content through social media, sites or applications, those sites will share Information with us:
a) about the content you have viewed or interacted with and about adverts within the content which you have been shown or clicked on; and
b) in your profile — for example, your name, e-mail address, gender, birthday, location, user ID.
6. Reason for processing
Processing is necessary to take steps to enter into and perform a contract.
7. Recipients of data
Your Personal Data may be received by one or more of the following recipients:
- Business Malta
- IT service providers
- Email communications service provider
- User-Generated Content and Public Activities. We offer you opportunities to engage in public activities on our Site which are designed to be visible to other users, including comments, ratings or any other items that you submit. If you choose to engage in public activities, you should be aware that any Personal Data you submit can be read, collected and used by other users of these services. We are not responsible for the Personal Data you choose to submit in the course of your public activities and we have no responsibility to publish, take down, remove or edit any of your public activities or submissions (except as required by applicable laws).
8. Information Sharing
We share your Information:
A. In order to render the services as laid out in the Terms as consented to by you;
B. With service providers we have engaged to perform business-related functions on our behalf. For example, to: (a) conduct research and analytics; (b) create content; (c) provide customer support services; (d) conduct or support marketing; (e) handle payments; (f) host services; and (g) maintain databases;
C. In response to legal process, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena, a law enforcement or government agency’s request or in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
D. In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
F. If we, or one of our business units, undergoes a business transition, like a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or part of our assets;
G. With your consent, we share information with other organisations so they can market their products and services to you.
9. How we Protect your Personal Data
We are committed to protecting your Personal Data and implement appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect it against any unauthorised or unlawful processing and against any accidental loss, destruction or damage.
If businessmalta.com learns of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using our Site or providing Personal Data to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of our Site. We may post a notice on our Website if a security breach occurs. Business Malta may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances.
10. Newsletters and Marketing Communications
With your explicit consent, we may, from time to time, send you newsletters and/or marketing communications, and process your Personal Data for this purpose.
We also provide
The type of data we process in this respect includes your First and Last name, Gender, Location, Date of birth, Email address.
This data is acquired directly from you when specifically consenting to receive our newsletters or marketing communications.
Your Personal Data may be received by IT service providers and Email communications service provider.
11. International Visitors and Customers
If you are visiting the Site from a country outside of the European Union with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from EU law, please note that you are transferring your Personal Data to Malta, which may not have the same data protection laws as other countries outside of the EU. By providing your Personal Data, you consent to:
- The transfer of your Personal Data to Malta as indicated above.
The collection, receipt, transmission, storage, disposal, use and disclosure of your Personal Data is governed by any applicable laws and regulations in force under Maltese law and that any disputes shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of Malta.
12. Your Rights
If you are in the EU there are certain specific rights that are applicable to you, as provided hereunder, which you can exercise for free subject to certain exceptions as found in the General Data Protection Regulation. To this extent, you can file a request to exercise any of these rights via email at [email protected]
A. Right to withdraw consent
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing of your data based on consent before its withdrawal.
B. Right to access your data
You have the right to access your Personal Data and can make such request verbally or in writing. We have one month to respond to such request and in most circumstances there is no additional fee in this regard. The period may be extended by two further months where necessary, taking into account the complexity and number of the requests.
C. Right to rectify your data
You have the right to have inaccurate Personal Data rectified, or completed if it is incomplete and can make a request for rectification. We have one calendar month to respond to a request and in certain circumstances we can refuse a request for rectification. The period may be extended by two further months where necessary, taking into account the complexity and number of the requests.
D. Right to erasure
E. Right to restriction or suppression of data
You have the right to request the restriction or suppression of your Personal Data. When processing is restricted, we are permitted to store the Personal Data, but not use it. We have one calendar month to respond to a request.
F. Right to object
You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances including to stop your data from being used for direct marketing.
G. Right to data portability
Where you have provided your Personal Data directly to us and where the processing is carried out by automated means and based on your consent or the performance of a contract between you and us, you have the right to receive the Personal Data processed about you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and to transmit this data to another service provider.
13. Processing of Children’s Data
We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 18.
In the event that the child is below the age of 18, we will only process their Personal Data if and to the extent that consent is given or authorized by the holder of parental responsibility
14. Retention Period of Personal Data
i. About Cookies
Cookies are small pieces of text sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser in order to allow the service or a third party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the service more useful to you.
Cookies can be ‘persistent’ or ‘session’ cookies. A persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the User before the expiry date. On the other hand a session cookie, will expire at the end of the User session, when the web browser is closed.
ii. Cookies Used by Us
1. Essential Cookies: These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Site for instance to let you login, to ensure site security, to enable you to move around our Site and use some of our features or to identify a returning User. Without this type of technology, our services won’t work properly or won’t be able to provide certain features and functionalities.
2. Advertising Cookies: We use these type of cookies to display advertisements that will be relevant to you and content we think you will be interested in for example by the use of adwords. This information is gathered anonymously – it does NOT enable us to identify who you are. If you would prefer to opt out of advertising cookies please see opt out notes below.
3. Analytical Cookies: These cookies allow us to collect statistical information about our visitors, such as whether they have visited the site before and the pages they view. We use these cookies to determine the kind of content and services our visitors value most, which in turn helps us improve our Site and its content. Hence, in this respect your Personal Data is not required for these purposes and you may also choose to opt out as per notes below.
iii. How can I Block Cookies ?
You can block, restrict or remove cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse all, or some, cookies. If you block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may find that parts of our Site do not work properly, or you may not be able to access our Site at all.
17. Contacting us
If you have any questions concerning our Site or this Policy, please email us at [email protected]
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to the data protection authority being the Office of the Information and Data Protection Commissioner.